Monday 1 October 2018

Starting Out...Again

Hello, my name's Katriona and I am a compulsive writer.
Creepy accidental photo of me

It has taken me many years to admit and accept this fact, but now that I have done so I am in the process of changing my life. Strangely, this blog isn't going to be about changing your life by following steps, or making money online, or any of the other useless stuff you scroll through absently on a Sunday afternoon. I'm not really sure what it's going to be about...but I'm dang sure it's going to be fun to find out.

I write, I work in kitchens, I am based in Scotland, I love dogs. I pan for gold in the summer and in the winter I hide in my house and write high fantasy novels with a hideous horror twist. I love Pratchett, King, Rothfuss and Igulden and grew up with R.L. Stine, Bernard Cromwell and Anne Rice as my chosen favourites. Adversely if I can make it funny then I will, which usually leads to strange and opposing reactions.

I write articles for people in my non-existent free time, guest edit now and again and am in the process of setting up as a freelancer so watch this space for that. I also have a rock collection that has overspilled the windowsill and extended out into the garden; so as well as creepy photo's, creepy stories, dark humour and interesting titbits you can also expect more than a few interesting rock experiments. My next task will be to use vinegar to dissolve away some mineral and see if we have crystals inside... so again, if that interests you watch this space.

Laura found a Fairy looking out from the clouds
I might talk a little about Scottish Gold, Scottish Folk Legends, Freelance Writing and the history and lay of the land I live in. We Scots are nothing if we are not vital. We like to soak up our surroundings and reflect them: which is probably why the rest of the world thinks we are wild and tough. We're not so bad. Your average Scot likes a cuddle as much as the next person, they just don't like to admit it.

I run a "Something Creepy" daily post on Facebook so if you like your photo's freaky - or if you have anything to add to the picture pile - check it out here. If you want to visit the webpage and help a girl out then you can follow this link. I am on Twitter and Instagram too but I am a bit too busy to keep up with them all. If anyone wants to volunteer as an unpaid intern to manage it all for me feel free to message me... If you want a taste of things to come you can visit my old blog, here.

Amanda's abandoned glove under her hotel room bed
I'm often on the lookout for Editors, Beta-Readers, Publishing Companies, Anthology/competition entry news, photographers and artists to help out with my novels. I make a pittance and pay as much as I can but I can't always promise a great fee. What I do promise is that the fee will grow as I do, and that if you do good collaborative work then I am very loyal. If you want to chat collaboration give me a message and let's talk. No time wasters though... I have been stung before.

So I've started the ball rolling by posting a couple of fan pics from the FB page. If you like your tales twisted and your thoughts quirky then click that follow button. I'll be doing weekly updates from now on. I will also leave you with wise words stolen from Maria Sherman, my hat goes off to you for nailing the entire industry in one fell swoop...



No comments:

Post a Comment